Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Two-Alarm Fire

This morning, the hubbie and I were rudely suddenly awakened at 4am by the girls howling their little hearts out.  At first, we thought it just to be a dream one of them was having and the other had to chip in.  Settling back down to sleep a minute or so later, we heard the sirens of the fire engine pulling out of the station about 2 blocks from our house.  I'm fairly certain that the girls were anticipatory-howling - their sharp ears had heard the alarm going off in the station and they knew the sirens would soon follow.  I don't often witness such stark examples of their superior ears.  Guess I better whisper more quietly next time I'm talking behind their backs. :)

It sounded a bit like this, except a little less "dog on a trail howling" and more like "two dogs dying in my spare room at 4am" howling. They have truly unique, sickly sounding twin howls. Rather, Sadie did; then she taught Maggie how to howl once we moved close to a fire station so now we have twin sickly howls. Someday, I will catch them in the act with a recorder and share.

4 comments:

  1. We used to have Bassethounds that would crazily howl at every siren. We're lucky our pooches don't do that because living here in the city we do get so many more sirens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Y'all,

    If you have a sound activated recorder and frequent sirens, just leave it on and eventually you can share your misery with all of us.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the things I could do with a sound activated recorder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know your girls are on patrol. My parent's German Shep's both howl at sirens and they sound like a wolf pack!

    ReplyDelete