Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Badger Kit: How an Overzealous Dog Mom Creates Her Own Pet First Aid Kit

I have a confession to make.  Until this week, I did not have a proper first aid kit on hand for the dawgs.  I mean, we had most of the supplies that we needed in various spots throughout the house.  Until we used them up and didn't have what we needed for Hurley's recent injury.  It only took a single frantic midnight first aid shopping trip to make me realize how woefully unprepared I have been for Badger emergencies.

One of the first things I did after last weekend's mishap was to go out and put together a proper first aid kit, which I have affectionately dubbed "The Badger Kit". 


You can purchase first aid kits for pets and for most households, these are sufficient.  I, however, have a home with 3 big dawgs, one of which is the Badger.  I knew that our gauze & bandaging needs would far exceed the normal amounts provided in a decent first aid kit so I decided to put together our very own.

While most of the supplies that you need are pretty basic, when you put together your very own Badger kit, it's helpful to ask yourself the following:

Do I have supplies to clean, treat & wrap the most common injuries?  For our dogs, tail & paw injuries are the most likely, followed by bug bites, scrapes & abrasions and foreign object ingestion. 

Are there any other injuries/first aid needs that reflect the activities my family partakes in?  For instance, I will be adding aloe gel to our first aid kit as camping with the dawgs is something we often do, which means our crew is at a higher risk for campfire burn injuries. 

Do I have enough of the consumable first aid supplies for all of my pets?  This question was why I decided to create our own first aid kit instead of purchasing a pre-made one.  What if a bear attacks us on one of our camping trips and more than one dog is injured?  (Yes, these are the crazy scenarios I play out in my head when planning the requirements of a proper Badger kit).  For our family, having a large supply of gauze & bandage wrap was the most important part of our first aid kit.

Because I intend to bring our fancy new Badger Kit with us on all trips & outings with the dawgs, I also included items like bug spray & natural flea repellants that would be useful on those trips and where it would also make logical sense to include them with first aid supplies. 



Here are the contents of our Badger First Aid Kit:

Hand Sanitizer & Alcohol Wipes (for sanitizing our hands prior to treating any injury)
Latex Gloves
6 Rolls of 3" Gauze
2 Rolls of 2" Gauze
3X3 Gauze Pads
3 Rolls of Adhesive Tape
6 Rolls of non-adhesive bandage wrap
Scissors
Tweezers
Rubber Syringe
Ear Cleanser
Hydrogen Peroxide
Wound Wash (I have a saline spray and will be getting Vetericyn as well, which is made specifically for pets and functions as an anti-septic spray)
Bag Balm (for treating cracked paws or scraped noses)
Nail Clippers
Styptic Powder
Dog Booties (we were given IV bags for this purpose from our vet plus we purchased some general purpose dog booties - they are extra large but will work nicely for an additional layer of protection over a bandaged paw on any of our 3 dawgs)
Natural Bug Spray
Natural Flea & Tick Spray
Aloe Gel
Calming Treats/Tinctures (it can be a challenge to keep your pet calm during an injury so including calming treats, sprays or tinctures is an essential part of a pet first aid kit, in my opinion)
Low Dose Aspirin
Benadryl
Herbal Healing Cream/Gel (or for you non-hippies out there, Neosporin will work just fine)
E-cone
Cotton Balls & Q Tips
Pet First Aid Book

Do you have a first aid kit for your pet?  If so, is there anything you include in your kit that has not found a home in the Badger Kit?

8 comments:

  1. You've got a great first aid kit... I think I should make one considering Boomer and Dottie don't have their own and use what we have on hand for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Y'all!

    My Human always has vet wrap in the kit so she can use gauze pads and the vet wrap protects from my licking or the wound getting wet.

    The Humans always used vet wrap with the horses. Hospitals use it too, but call it something else...you humans evidently would be insulted if you thought they were putting vet wrap on you!

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This list is fantastic! I think I might be putting together my own first aid kit this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may need to revamp ours. We do have one - for horses and dogs, but going through it the other day I realized we had hit expiration dates for some of the items.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a 'kit' but I do have a box with certain supplies in them. Two items I really love are the EMT gel and vet tape. I found that hubby's old tube socks work nicely for bandaging wounds and vet tape will help in applying pressure.

    Great job being prepared!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gifted a beautiful and attractive Pomeranian to my girlfriend, and she loves playing with the doggie. Since, she remains careful about health and hygiene of pets, so she felt it necessary to buy the professional dog nail clippers and trim the nails of the naughty creature with ease.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This list is fantastic! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this post. Camping can be a fun time to spend with family and friends, but most people forget that it’s not always as safe and secure as they tend to believe. Camping in the wilderness has its own risks along with the fun we can have. This doesn’t mean that you will necessarily suffer an injury, get bitten by a spider, be attacked by mosquitoes or lose your trail back to the campsite. See more http://survival-mastery.com/skills/camp/camping-first-aid-kit.html

    ReplyDelete